Nov 22, 2009

Horror and Media

The first project of this semester was about "the modification of an environment ( or situation ) in a very immediate way". I tried to modify few situations in my house without knowing what I was trying to do.


Then I realized that one of my videos from last semester was related with this project in some way. It was about distorting time, but I guess somehow it also distorted environment.




And this image reminded me of the video game called "The 7th Guest" which was released in 1993. It was a horror adventure game that trying to solve the mysteries inside a huge mansion. And accidentally by the time I was on this project, I was playing the video game called "Bio Hazard" which was also a horror adventure zombie killing game inside a mansion.



1. The 7th Guest, Virgin Games, 1993
2. Bio Hazard, Capcom, 1996


These video games had great amount of tensions that player can feel inside mansion, so they were all about "interior horror". Of course monsters come out occasionally, but player spends most of the time alone in the domestic environment. So with these two games reminded, my works on the project became horror.

The loading screen of Bio Hazard was the best part of the game. When player opens the door or goes downstairs, you can only hear the footsteps or a creaking sound from the door. And it changes it's point of view into first person's. So I tried to imitate that.


loading screen of Bio Hazard



I made couple more videos trying to express static fear inside house. And finally, with an intension to express the suicidal tendency, I threw my camcorder from 23rd floor...just to fail to revive that video tape.



After these "fear inside" things, project was changed and I brought camera out to the streets. I shooted the original source in the construction area where I could get a great depth of space. I admit that I was obsessed with video filters and effects regarding these street videos. But a few filters were good for expressing bizarre illusions and they reminded me of environments from Marilyn Manson's music videos. Well, it's just my opinion. It doesn't really matter what you think!


Sapphire Edge Detect Double + black screen matte


Marilyn Manson - The long hard road out of hell (1997)


Sapphire Psykoblobs


Marilyn Manson - The dope hat (1994)

Ok...I'm starting to confuse...where was I ??
In trying to make portraits, I couldn't make 3-4 different videos. I just made one simple video which I wanted to express distorted time, body modification, sound reacting horror video. Looking toward an eye very closely is often used to give some tensions. The movie "Requiem for a dream" used it, the title screen of Bio Hazard used it also. Why not me?


1. Requiem for a Dream, 2000
2. Bio Hazard, 1996
3. Bio Hazard 2, 1998




This is what I did during this semester. I couldn't finish my works for the project "Interior Horror" yet, and there is an upcoming project named "Crowd Multiplier". I can't guess what kind of works I'm going to do, but the keywords as now will be

1. HORROR!!
2. static fear
3. interior
4. the depth of space
5. time distortion
6. sound

So I have to find the way how I can put these altogether in couple of videos regarding "Interior Horror" and "Crowd Multiplier". And since I just bought brand new camera called EOS 7D (haha), I'll see what I can do with it...

No comments: